Saturday, September 13, 2008

Banner Compression

Here are some tips for reducing files sizes if you are having issues with that aspect of the project.

http://www.grantasticdesigns.com/flashcompression.html

The site design is not great, but the information provided offers some good tips for keeping file size low.

While, I definitely am looking for file size to be 40K (or really close to that, at least), the file size requirement is not as high a priority for your grade as the design portion is.

As I mentioned in class, if you are importing bitmapped images, compress them in Photoshop or Fireworks to reduce file size, but try to do that without sacrificing image quality. JPGs work best for photographic images, while GIFs are usually used for graphics with areas of solid color, such as logos. You can also import your AI files into Flash, since (generally speaking), vector graphics require less processing than bitmapped images (such as JPGs or GIFs). Another hint is to scale your images down to the size you need for the banner before saving and importing them, so Flash doesn't have to spend time processing that transformation.

I saw a lot of creative work in these ads on Thursday, so I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with for Tuesday! See you then.

No comments: